Skip to main content

Practice what you Teach

Do we sit in front of the small blue screen and scroll and click social media at the same time we binge watch a series of actors portraying comedic and dramatic scenarios that capture us?

Do we read our electronic devices in the bath while listening to current folk or jazz radio?

Do we buy healthy food for our larders after downing a quicky snack or fast food?

I do.

I fight with my self and keep the  wellness of my journey of life in the margins.

Even learning has dropped into a box of social identity.  But sometimes the dovetail toward simple good living can  happen. And here it is.

Better Call Nel!

So, yes.  I am bingeing, Better Call Saul.  And Yes.  I am scrolling through my Facebook and Instagram, but my curiosity is piqued!  THIS MONTREAL GAZETTE STORY comes up and I click on it.  It arrived at the exact time that Jimmy decided to (spoiler alert) start selling TV ads.

Naturally, I clicked on the Gazette story because I am a so-called qualified exercise professional "now". QEP.

The trends listed in the news article fit, or dovetailed if you will, into my recent learning binge.

Jimmy is sincere albeit, shady.  I am sincere too, but in reality - I spend a lot of time sitting on my ass on a swivel chair in front of a small screen watching fictional characters live their lives.  I read fiction like Robert Galbraith.  I write poems and stories and stuff.  I listen to jazz. OMG

Better living just comes down to walking the walk that is so easily avoidable. Talk it, sure, but do I walk it?  To do that I have to sell it to myself first.  I am on the cusp of receiving the full benefit of breath and activity, and I've come to realize that offering it outward, aka teaching, is a form of theatre; it actually carries me into the stadium, where I am the beneficiary, mirror-like, becoming my own audience.  It is a contradiction, where giving feels like taking.

If folk come my way in my days as a QEP, I will be the one who wins the day.  My humility, my gratitude, for those who drag me from the small screen and the fast food cannot be measured.  It is a long journey to wellness and everyone has a unique path.

Do not give up who you are to become well.  Improving your breath and strength and range of motion and balance and power does not cost you anything.  Love your books, your food, your video, your private little pleasures even more, when and because you are well.

The dirty little secrets in me honour those secrets in you.


Comments

Other Little Posts