Skip to main content

While I breathe

Dum Spiro Spero - while I breath I hope, I live, I move.  This is my Clan Motto, so it is only natural that I am drawn and dedicated to the beauty of of our breath. Many clans and other historical characters have also sensibly adopted the motto.  Our breath is our first and final possession.

And nothing is closer to breath than movement.  It pulls the wasted CO2 from the depths of our extremities and flushes it through the lungs and away, so our splendid O2 can enliven our way, our fingers, our limbs, our organs, our brain.  Yes, the heart is the pump, but the lungs capture the miraculous  molecules and release them to our body, the ultimate nutrient.

Recently, I studied the practice of movement for people with compromised lungs.  It is an absolute truth that movement is beneficial for everyone, even people who must carry their O2 with them, or who only have a portion of their lungs, working on their behalf, as they breathe and live.

Fear can impede movement among folks with reduced lung capacity, but just a glance at improvement offers Spero - Hope!  More good days!  Better stability!  I'm up and I'm leaving sang Manfred Mann's Earth Band, and so too can ordinary folk who thought once they would be chair bound because of their breath.  Improvement and satisfaction - simply bed to chair, or house to car, or home to a destination.  To the country.  To the city.  Our imagination is a realistic enterprise and small dreams bring as much hope as vast ones.

Dum Spiro Spero - believe in whatever breath you have. 

Inhale UP, Exhale DOWN.  An arm, an eyebrow, the curve of your lip.

In Canada, now we have services of exercise for people who have reduced lung function.  In Ontario, it is called Fitness for Breath.  In Manitoba service is through Lungtivity. Yep.  It is a thing!  Science driven and proven.  Improved wellness for people in all stages of lung compromise. Aging is progress.  Everyone faces setbacks, physical and mental, but Dum Spiro Spero.  Progress is always possible.

Arms up - inhale.  down, exhale.  Three times a day!  And move forward from there.

While I breath, I hope.

In memory of Georgie Schram, who lived long (1925-2005) and laughed lots.

I aim to serve with improved knowlecge, (BPH MSC CELTA QEP) - yoga fitness, active older adult, lungtivity, or maybe I'll just breathe for fun!  Positive intentions with every breath.

Comments

Other Little Posts