Skip to main content

That Mind of Ours

Some of us are unconscious of how we socialize.  Others of us can see our own patterns.
As I spend these weeks, or possibly months, in self isolation, I have already learned, that running errands has been my main social passtime.  I didn't realize! I smile at passers by.  I chat with store clerks and business representatives as I grab my staples and pick up my necessities. I am friendly. I get the urge to run an errand - just to connect with folks. Ooops!  No Can Do.
I am luckier than some though, because  I have lived alone for a couple of decades and am very familiar with having nobody around when I'm home.  That said, in this time of separation, I realize that now I am actually tidying my house for myself, not "in case" someone comes by (which never happened anyway).  The art on my walls is for me.  The nicely folded linens are for me. The clean kitchen is for me.  Why had it taken me a lifetime to learn to make things nice, for me, not for others?  My home is not for "show", but rather to just enjoy.

We are spending time in our heads.  Many of us have lived outer-directed lives, focusing on presenting ourselves rather than being ourselves.

I realize that many people in so-called social isolation are in family dwellings and have perhaps less time in solitude. But within the family, you can be more frank and just say no, and take thinking time, if there is the physical space and not an abundance of toddlers.

It is different for everyone.
MBIA Series: Coping with self-isolation

Brandon University's Department of Psychiatric Nursing created a quick short video because prolonged isolation can manifest in mental illness.  Guarding our mental health in this time of dizzying change is paramount.  They offer us some tips.  Logical things we can do to keep our minds from whizzing away from our own world.

During this time of change, we can realize things about our self.  Our own little changes in behavior can be viewed as funny, because they are in contrast to who we thought we were.

We have been many many moons on a seemingly relentless path of consumerism and over achieving, contrasted by feelings of inadequacy.  This is ending!
Upriser

Social isolation is bringing us together.  It is pinpointing simplicity.  It is making greed laughable in all its horror.

Our physical wellness is important.  Our mental wellness is too.

My way has been through yoga practice.  It isn't the same for everyone.  We do need to be active, and we need to nurse our minds.  I have been avoiding singing, for some unknown reason buried deep within my complicated mind, but today I did a small kirtan practice before sunrise (I live alone). I used my voice and sang (or I guess chanted) along.  That is one small goal for me, to rediscover my voice.  Find variety in your day.  Make lists.  Not only chores, but ideas, and fun things.  This may be the opportunity we have been waiting for.

In this vast world of so much information, remember, local is better - use the resources created by the people you know, and the ones close by.  Shell Andrea Yoga and Kirtan is not from far away, even she is nearby. My next post will feature links to online resources I've started to use. 

Namaste

Comments

Other Little Posts